- Herefordshire Council & Kier Construction
- Colwall, Herefordshire
Quattro was appointed to provide a new 210 place primary school on a greenfield site; designed to respond to the rural setting and valued backdrop of The Malvern Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
This site had several constraints:
- The Malvern Hills AONB; designated landscape of national importance
- Native ecology and biodiversity
- Highways connectivity to the wider community
- Maintain Public Rights of Way
- Proximity of a Scheduled Ancient Monument
These constraints meant the planning context was extremely sensitive and complex therefore, a busy programme of open dialogue with the Planning Department was essential.
Local Delivery: Compliance with the ESFA Cost Plan and FOS was mandatory.
Quattro’s Design solution:
- Designed to be sympathetic and landscape led
- Minimise impact within AONB
- Maximise views and connections with AONB
- Create a ‘sense of place’
- New school to have a strong identity
- Embrace school’s ethos
A combined Landscape Visual Impact Assessment and Environmental Colour Assessment (ECA) of the site informed the design.
The Planning Officer considered this a first regionally, if not nationally.
Our design contributes to society:
- The hall is a ‘community hub’
- Improvements to PROW
- Highways improvements
- Reinstatement of historic hedgerow