- HALO Leisure Services & Hereford Council
- Project Leaders
- Jonathan Parker
Halo Leisure, in collaboration with the local authority, wished to radically transform the appearance of the existing leisure centre into an inspiring social place, offering sports excellence and improved physical wellbeing.
The brief was to modernise the facilities at Hereford Leisure Centre and Swimming Pool to:
- create an invigorated presence on site
- improve the quality of existing facilities and spaces
- improve the energy efficiency of the building
- provide accommodation for additional activities
- improve the functioning of the centre
- improve accessibility throughout
- cater for the demand in increasing footfall
- increase revenue to ensure the long-term future
Quattro’s Architectural Services were appointed from inception through to completion and the team worked closely with Halo Leisure to completely transform the image of a tired leisure centre into a high-end building, internally and externally.
Through a combination of refurbishment and redevelopment, the facilities now provide a new dance hall, gym floor, spinning room and changing rooms, that are accessible for clients of all abilities and meet the Sport England (link) criteria. A new reception space, with a vibrant cafe and soft play area were key to the brief to welcome visitors to the centre, and to promote a healthy lifestyle.
The phasing of the works was complex and critical to the success of the project. Through collaboration with client and contractor, the facilities remained fully operational for the duration of the works with minimal disruption.
The completed works breathe new life into the facilities ensuring a better public service building that will be sustainable for future generations and fulfil the aims of our clients’ aspirations to create a high-quality fitness and leisure facility that incorporates the HALO brand.