- HALO Leisure Services & Hereford Council
- Project Leaders
- Jonathan Parker
Quattro was appointed as Architectural Consultants to redevelop Ross Swimming Pool. Our brief was to deliver on the following aims:
- Radically transform the image of a tired swimming pool building
- Create a vibrant presence on site which enhances the wider public realm
- Provide high quality facilities for fitness and wellbeing that will inspire the local community
- Improve accessibility to all facilities for all abilities
- Improve the energy efficiency of the building fabric and reduce running and life-cycle costs providing increased revenue opportunities to ensure the long-term future of a sustainable centre.
The new extension intelligently wraps around the front of the pool hall, giving coherence to the new main entrance and high-quality facilities within. At the heart of the development is a new “village change” opening directly to the pool hall creating a welcoming and secure changing environment.
Overcoming Complexities from the foundations up, the whole team worked proactively with the local and statutory authorities to design, coordinate and install a piled foundation system as a solution to the problems associated with ground conditions, building above an existing basement and bridging over a major public sewer line. Quattro Design Architects produced a BIM model that proved a critical tool for coordinating this solution.
“We did a major refurb of Ross-on-Wye’s swimming pool. I was directly involved from very early stages right through to completion. I live in Ross and I saw the direct impact of our work. I realised making a difference (on my doorstep!) and benefiting the local community is important to me. Quattro are champions for this. Their collaborative culture and steady stream of community based projects is perfect for me and really fulfilling…” Jonathan Parker – Project Architect, Quattro Design Architects.