Overcoming Disability in Gloucestershire
Quattro is proud to have delivered architectural services designing and developing this fantastic, ground-breaking project. Since 2015 Robert Walder, Quattro’s Director of Healthcare, has architecturally overseen both phases of development, the Milestone School outdoor, wheelchair-friendly adventure playground and the Chamwell Centre itself. These wonderful facilities will support the needs of disabled children and adults across the county.
“This has been an inspiring project to be part of. Living locally to The Milestone School and Chamwell Centre, and witnessing the fantastic work that is already done at the school, it has been an absolute privilege to design a scheme that will help them meet the needs of the disabled community for many years to come.” (Robert Walder)
A new 15m long hydrotherapy pool, one of the UK’s first multi-sensory therapy pools with the latest state-of-the-art video and light installations that provide full immersive sensory therapy for students, is the centrepiece of the Chamwell Centre. Able to take eight non-ambulant pupils and their one to one carer, it is also one of the largest hydrotherapy pools in the country.
Other facilities include:
- A two-storey soft play room packed with equipment to stimulate the imagination and encourage exercise through play;
- A two-storey trampoline area for a rebound therapy room;
- Physio and occupational therapy consulting rooms for visiting doctors, nurses, speech and language therapists, delivering health education for The Milestone School pupils. These rooms would negate the need for the children to attend hospital clinics;
- A two-storey Atrium with café areas and informal meeting space, also available for Community use;
- A ‘Changing Places’ bathroom to ensure that the centre can cater for the needs of all visitors.
We are extremely proud of this achievement by this unbelievably dedicated client team, including Speller Metcalfe and Evans Jones and we look forward to seeing the Centre opening soon.