With NHS waiting lists at a record high and 5+ million awaiting non-urgent surgery, rapid and flexible design solutions are essential to increase NHS capacity and efficiency.
What are rapid and flexible design solutions? At Quattro we’ve embraced Dual Function spaces and Modular Construction as innovative design solutions to the ever-increasing demand for NHS services.
Our Healthcare Team is currently working on fast track projects within NHS Trusts to develop dual function hospital environments to manage sudden surges in patient numbers.
In one example, a ward will operate as a Stroke Unit under ordinary circumstances, and in times of need it will flex to become an additional ICU Ward.
An extraordinary, technically challenging scheme, where we embrace the opportunity to deliver viable, creative and flexible solutions.
Recent advances in MMC, most notably Modular Construction, are being embraced by NHS Trusts across the UK as rapid and flexible design solutions. Working with some of the leading modular manufacturers in this field, Quattro has designed and delivered modular offsite, low carbon solutions, fully coordinated to BIM level 3, for Operating Theatres, Outpatient Clinics, Consulting Rooms, Clinical Decisions Units, Inpatient Units and beyond.
Other important benefits include:
- The modular construction process is revolutionising how we build. Its rapid off-site assembly has less impact on patient welfare, staff morale and the environment. Minimising disruption to live Hospital sites is critical. By choosing modular, the construction process can take place alongside site and foundations work without the worry of weather delays
- Add to this a more Covid-safe and rapid process, with attractive, bespoke and flexible eco-friendly design options, it’s easy to see why MMC is becoming an in increasingly popular option for Sustainable Hospital Design.
- A world away from the bleak anonymity of post-war prefab construction, modular design today provides striking, sustainable, colourful solutions increasing capacity whilst decreasing carbon footprint. The MMC design & construction process is precise and able to achieve high levels of environmental performance in a controlled factory setting
- From off-site construction to precision design and quality; MMC can be an affordable, speedy and logistically flexible design solution and with delivery unaffected by the skills shortage, it’s easy to see why modular construction is an attractive, exciting and viable option for Hospital expansion
- Looking ahead, the benefits of MMC increase – as hospitals expand, modular units can be added to well-designed schemes with less disruption than traditional routes, ensuring schemes are future proofed with a deliberate additive design approach that works. Modular refurbishment is equally viable.