Quattro Design Architects have established a significant record of sustainable design over 35 years. Ahead of the game, from our inception in 1984, we have led from the front to promote Sustainability; we are ambitious in using and sharing our extensive knowledge in this field.
We continue to work hard to develop our expertise, by researching methods for improving the sustainability of construction in our projects. Sustainability appraisals ensure informed use of materials and reduction of environmental impact. BREEAM is often used from an early stage to guide the design and procurement through a wide range of sustainable issues. We prioritise the development of buildable solutions that minimise energy demand through: high levels of insulation, air tightness and thermal comfort, maximum use of natural light, low water usage and the full integration of renewables and passive thermal design to minimise carbon emissions.
Our sustainable design considers issues which impact on the future life of the building, including running cost and efficiency. We work through a wide range of environmental issues to deliver low-budget, sustainable solutions. We are a diverse practice; giving clients the best opportunity to place sustainability at the heart of their projects is key to our service.
Our aim is to be recognised as a leading architect for delivering sustainable design solutions across the wide range of sectors in which we work. Recently Quattro have joined architects across the country in declaring a climate emergency.
We have embraced The RIBA Climate Emergency Declaration and will seek to:
- Upgrade existing buildings for extended use as a more carbon efficient alternative to demolition and new build whenever there is a viable choice
- Include life cycle costing, whole life carbon modelling and post occupancy evaluation as part of our basic scope of work, to reduce both embodied and operational resource use
- Raise awareness of the climate and biodiversity emergencies and the urgent need for action amongst our clients and supply chains
- Advocate for faster change in our industry towards regenerative design practices and a higher Governmental funding priority to support this.
As a leading Sustainable Architectural practice, we take our green credentials seriously. Sustainability permeates our culture as well as our design.
What Is Sustainable Design?
Sustainability focuses on meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
The concept of sustainability is composed of three pillars: Economic, Environmental, and Social.
Rather than a particular aesthetic or product, Sustainable Design looks to address these criteria as
part of the design decision process.
Some design tools such as BREEAM consider a wide range of sustainability criteria, whilst other tools such as energy modelling and Passivhaus, concentrate on a specific aspect. Our experience allows us to work closely with our clients to choose and implement the best design tools. Importantly we also value the application of common sense and providing simple, well informed advice where detailed quantification is felt unnecessary.
Quattro Design Architects are members of:
- AECB (Association for Environment Conscious Building)
- Green Register
- RIBA Climate Emergency Declaration