- Herefordshire Council & Kier Construction
- Colwall, Herefordshire
Quattro was appointed to provide a new 210 place primary school on a greenfield site; designed to respond to the rural setting and valued backdrop of The Malvern Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
This site had several constraints:
- The Malvern Hills AONB; designated landscape of national importance
- Native ecology and biodiversity
- Highways connectivity to the wider community
- Maintain Public Rights of Way
- Proximity of a Scheduled Ancient Monument
These constraints meant the planning context was extremely sensitive and complex therefore, a busy programme of open dialogue with the Planning Department was essential.
Local Delivery: Compliance with the ESFA Cost Plan and FOS was mandatory.
3D Fly Through Preview
If you would like our team of Education Architects to design your school, our Visualisation Team can create a 3D fly through video to convey our state-of-the-art, striking, sustainable and technically strong Education Design. This is the video we created for Colwall Primary School to share with their stakeholders.
Quattro’s Design solution:
- Designed to be sympathetic and landscape led
- Minimise impact within AONB
- Maximise views and connections with AONB
- Create a ‘sense of place’
- New school to have a strong identity
- Embrace school’s ethos
A combined Landscape Visual Impact Assessment and Environmental Colour Assessment (ECA) of the site informed the design.
The Planning Officer considered this a first regionally, if not nationally.
Our design contributes to society:
- The hall is a ‘community hub’
- Improvements to PROW
- Highways improvements
- Reinstatement of historic hedgerow